It’s MOTHER’S DAY this weekend, so for those people who have living mothers (or who are mothers), chances are, you will be busy doing something related to that day on Sunday. In honor of that, here are some facts you may not have known about this special day:
1. Mother’s Day was established as a national holiday in the United States in 1914.
2. More phone calls are made on Mother’s Day than on any other day of the year.
3. Mother’s Day has its origins in “Mothering Sunday,” an early Christian festival.
4. There are lots of websites with gift suggestions for Mother’s Day, but the most popular gifts generally are still chocolate, flowers, or cards. Of course, if you really want to ‘wow’ your mother, you can try to find the largest chocolate bar ever made, which weighs in at over 12,000 pounds (http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/largest-chocolate-bar-)
5. Mother’s Day is celebrated in many different countries, including the United Kingdom, Brazil, Germany, Japan, Peru, and more!
Did you know you can make a science-themed gift for Mother’s Day? Yup that’s right! Check out color-changing flowers, where the food coloring in solution travels up the stem of the flower and dyes the petals fun colors (https://www.rookieparenting.com/color-changing-flowers-science-experiment/)
Here’s another idea: Try a card written in invisible ink! Lots of options for that- check out: https://www.wikihow.com/Make-an-Invisible-Ink-Message. Even urine (https://www.treehugger.com/bathroom-design/recycle-your-urine-make-invisible-ink-and-other-fascinating-uses-pee.html) although that may not make an appropriate present for anyone, really.
Finally, if all else fails, you could make a slime gift! A slime gift is a gift of slime. There is nothing that your mother will want more than sticky slime that stays on couches and clothing forever. Lots of choices available online, including: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IgdGBijYA4 and https://www.thegiftygirl.com/slime-kit-gift/.
FINALLY AND ON A SERIOUS NOTE, PLEASE CONSIDER TAKING A MOMENT TO ACKNOWLEDGE PEOPLE YOU KNOW WHO HAVE LOST THEIR MOTHERS, WHO ARE WAITING TO BECOME MOTHERS, WHO ARE MOTHERS TO CHILDREN IN HEAVEN, AND ALL OTHER PEOPLE WHO MAY BE HURTING ON MOTHER’S DAY.
HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY TO ALL!